Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back in the USA



The following were all picked up in a fleeting visit to NYC yesterday evening. After a year away from the City and my favorite store, I had high expectations and was underwhelmed. That said, I came away with a few good finds.

Stan Getz - Captain Marvel [WLP] $2.50.
I'm listening to this right now. I haven't heard the recent Pure Pleasure reissue, but am delighted with this copy, although the vinyl is a little noisy. Miles Davis' band tear it up with Getz on great form.

Rita Lee and Roberto - Bom Bom [Precision LA] $2.50.
Member of Os Mutantes in dubious dance come-back phase in 1985.

Love and Rockets - Earth Sun Moon. $0.50
One of the stronger, atmospheric albums from ex-Bauhaus crew

Eagles - On the border [Sterling LH, Lee Hulko] $0.50

Poco - Legend [Masterdisk] $0.50
Their biggest seller. I want to check out their earlier country albums, and plan on ditching this one - this is more hard rock with spots of soft rock - probably made sense in 1978. I had studiously avoided this band for years until I read Barney Hoskyns Hotel California about the country-rock scene in LA, and made the connection that this was an off-shoot of Buffalo Springfield.

Linda Ronstandt - Silk Purse [Columbia House] $0.50
I'm wondering whether a Capitol pressing would be better than the 1A Columbia House pressing, either way, this is great, the sound is raw with a live feel, and the country-rock cover of Will You Love Me Tomorrow rocks.

Ray Charles - Invites You To Listen [Mono 'LW'] $0.50
I woke up during the cover of 'Yesterday', but this is a snooze-fest. One of the few reviews I could find (Wilson and Alroy) nailed it, and turned up a well-written review site that's been around forever, but somehow I had never read. And what's with Ray's falsetto? Yikes. A positive post on the Steve Hoffman forum is enticing me to give it a proper listening, but I'm flagging, and this has moved to the discard pile.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home