Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Chicago Transit Authority

I've moved on from Rubber Soul this evening, to a first UK pressing, Island pink rim label of Richard and Linda Thompsons' I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight. This has been on heavy rotation since acquiring it from a Canadian eBay seller a few months back. After I asked for a play grade, the seller listened to it, and actually requested that I not buy it, since he enjoyed it so much. He gave me the history of his copy of the LP, buying it in London in 1973, and it evoked that era for him (when I was still in diapers). Anyway, of course I insisted he send it (he had also sold me a first UK Track press of Quadrophenia, so we'd already had a lengthy correspondance about that LP). I offered to send him a CDR of my US Hannibal CD, but he preferred to sulk, and regret having ever listed the LP.

The Thompsons' album never grabbed me on CD, but this pressing lured me into the performance, and I've been eager to revisit their vignettes on a regular basis.

Next up, Chicago's debut, Chicago Transit Authority. The pressing is a Columbia Stereo 1A/1A/1A/1A in near mint condition. $2. The "1A" indicates a first pressing from a first stamper, which typically gives a clearer sound, closer to the test pressings that the artists approve.

Often I'm lured by the vinyl's matrix credentials, a mastering engineer, or record label, rather than the actual music. Sometimes this pays off. In this case, Stephen Malkmus of Pavement referenced this album in an interview, so it had a few things going for it - low investment, solid vinyl credentials, and hipster cred, particularly because later material by the band is held in such low regard. Admiring an album by a reviled band is satisfying for its provocative quality.

I'm warming up to the music. Sonically it delivers, but the jazz-rock thing takes a while to get into. Not sure if I'll listen to all four sides before the prospect of waking up in five hours for work motivates me to try and sleep.

-David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home