Sunday, October 22, 2006

Jennifer Warnes

Just heard her duet with Chris Hillman (the Byrds) from his new album on WFUV this morning, and thought I should dig up the four LPs I have of her material, and give them a critical listen.

Jennifer Warnes - Best of [Arista 1982 US]

Lousy. Argh. Three tracks in, I have to stop.


Jennifer Warnes - S/T [Arista WLP 1976. "PRC"]

"Love Hurts" is an improvement. The sound (Mastering by Bernie Grundman) is a lot more satisfying, although I think he may have handled the hits also (no credit though). "Round and Round" is sacharine. So, onto the Rolling Stones cover "Shine a Light". Everything I've heard so far just doesn't have much energy. The musicians don't sound engaged. It seems like the Christian theme is important to Warnes, but I'm not feeling the "faith". Skipping straight to the Allmusic recommended track, "Right Time of the Night", also the first track on the hits. And much fuller here. Still watery drivel.

Jennifer Warnes - Shot Through the Heart [Arista 1979, "Mastered at Capitol, HUB"]

Ken Perry has the mastering credit, but the in initials are "HUB". Odd. "I Know a Heartache When I see One" sounds so different from the Hits version, I thought it was a different performance. But I think it just shows Perry's mastering skills.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd recommend "The Well" from 2003.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home